Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 18 year old =^..^= cat has developed a gradually noticeable

My 18 year old =^..^= cat has developed a gradually noticeable decline in cognitive function over the last 3 months. She started taking Denamarin around this time for liver support and I am pleased to say that she responded very well to it ... however, I'm wondering if this acceleration of her cognitive function and the administration of Denamarin is just simply a co-incidence, because of her advanced age?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While Abby did start taking the Denamarin around the time you saw a decline in her cognitive function, these are not likely to be related. In fact, while Denamarin is know as a liver support, it also has positive brain effects as well. The SAMe has found to be neuroprotective. As well, the silybin is an anti-oxidant that will have the similar effects to Vitamin E in the Senilife.

So, if anything in that time frame could negatively impact the brain's function, we'd be more concerned about her liver disease's effects (since decreased liver function can cause hepatic encephalopathy which in milder forms can cause confusion, disorientation, and abnormal behavior). But if she has continued to show reduced cognitive function, then we'd have to consider that even that may be of coincidence, since brain aging can arise simultaneously and independently of liver issues at this age.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** Denamarin and Senilife together, there would be no harm in doing so. Phosphatidylserine is actually a supplement of one of the major phospholipids in the brain. When the brain makes this itself, it needs SAme as one of the co-factors to do so. So, the two are part of the same metabolic pathway but adding more co-factor (SAme) or adding more finished product (Phosphatidylserine) isn't going to cause harm. It will just ensure optimum Phosphatidylserine levels for the nerve cells and the unused SAme will be used for further liver support. So, together there would be no issue here and you can use the two together safely to help support and improve her mental clarity.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr B,

thank you for getting back to me so quickly Smile In the meantime, while I purchase the Senilife, do you think it would be condusive if I should put Abby back on Denamarin every day? because I have only been giving it every 2nd day for maintenance!! Yes, I will ask my vet about hepatic encephalopathy, because she was very ill last year with recurring (I think was called hepatic cholangitis-triad disease) I wonder if giving Omega supplements would also help? I have been a bit reluctant to give her oils ... because of her liver problem! Its a vicious circle! Do you think it wouldbe beneficial to give her a high quality omega 3&6 supplement ... would that harm her liver? she's on a low fat Royal Canin Sensitivity Control wet diet plus Hills L/d dry kibble for her sensitive tummy! Poor wee girl isn't she? Any further suggestions from you to help her regain equillibrium would be most gratefully appreciated. Many thanks, Pat

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr B did you get my reply to expert e-mail that I sent in reply to your initial reply above? ...I clicked on the rating icon ... before I got a further response!!!! to the additional question on Abby, which is shown below ... doh!! Yell Please let me know if you will reply? Thanks again, Pat.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, Pat.

She sounds like she could be one of my kitties (all mine are wee poorly waifs and strays that needed care). Still, it does sound like she is in good hands with you.

Now in Abby's case, I do think putting her on the Denamarin daily would be a good idea here. You can also monitor her behavior on daily dosing vs. every other day dosing to appreciate if the liver could possibly be related to her cognitive dysfunction (or if it is a separate old age change, since cats have no rules regarding having one issue at a time ;)).

Otherwise, I do think a good quality Omega 3 fish oil supplement would be fine to use with her liver condition. In fact, there are studies (on humans, pigs, and mice) that have showed that Omega-3 fatty acids reduce liver inflammation and is advisable for liver disease patients (Omega 6 is likely fine as well, but the studies focused on Omega 3 alone, so you could choose to just use this one or use it in combination). So, we'd not be worried about this for Abby. The only caveat that I would note here though is to avoid cod liver oil as a base for any supplement you choose to use. The reason is because it is a wee bit high in fat soluble vitamins (namely Vitamin A) and we can see this cause adverse signs in cats over long periods of time.

Overall, I do think you are on the right track here with your overall supports and it will be good to see if we do get changes in her mental status as you increase the Denamarin dose (as it may be a hint that the liver needed a wee bit more support). Furthermore, with the Senilife and Omega-3 fish oils, you will be in a good position for supporting both her brain and her body on the whole.

Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.

PS- I did get your reply, but was taking a moment to have a wee peak into the literature on liver disease vs. fish oils for you. Smile So, no worries there and just to note you can reply to me as much as you wish while the question is open, so just don't leave any more feedback (else you could be charged again) but feel free to reply as you may need. -Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for that Dr B ... and you have a good day too! 'bye Smile Pat.