Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 5 month old maltipoo has started dry humping her soft

Customer Question

My 5 month old maltipoo has started 'dry humping' her soft toy. Why is she doing this and what can I do to discourage her please?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help you and Mollie. "Dry humping" may be just a form of play, or it could be also that she is maturing and hormonal. Either way, I understand your wanting to stop this behavior.

Dr. Barbara :

If it is just play, I'd try removing the toy that is stimulating her to do this. Also, I recommend that you not react to this in any way, as this gives her your attention (even tho' it is negative attention).

Dr. Barbara :

If you are planning to have her spayed, I'd consider doing so fairly soon to stop any hormonal stimulation to this unwanted behavior. Behavior that is hormonally stimulated can become habitual, and this is more difficult to stop.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice, I apologise for not replying at the time.

Dr. Barbara :

No problem. . .we are on different time schedules, but I am now "up" and at work, so if you want to continue chatting, I'll be here. This is how this site works normally, just to make sure that we cover everything thoroughly. Hope you and Mollie are having a great day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your help hopefully I can curb this behaviour now. Gillian.

Hi Gillian,
Thanks for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
Since you are so quickly taking steps to curb this behavior, I'm sure Mollie will comply as she realizes this behavior is unwanted.
I'll be checking in on you two in a few days just to hear how things are going. . .Please let me know; there is no more charge for this!
Dr. Barbara