Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My dogs third eyelid is showing and he is squinting abit and

My dogs third eyelid is showing and he is squinting abit and has tried to rub it once this has only just come on does he need to go to a out of hours vet
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
The squinting, also known as blepharospasm, is a red flag for us. It suggests the eye may have been traumatized. So, possible ran in to something or a scratch. Other concerns would include a eye infection.
When the eye is greatly irritated, that third eyelid will often pop up as a reflex to protecting it.
No rubbing! It risks further injuring the eye. Yes, I do feel this is well worth the vet visit!
The vet will likely recommend a eye stain test to ensure the surface of the eye (cornea) is okay.
Eye Stain Test for Ulcers
This simple test also helps to determine what eye medication is safe for the vet to prescribe.
Also, they may suggest some type of anti-inflammatory treatment, and even an antihistamine to help reduce that rubbing.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you think this needs seeing straightaway as it is 1am and my out of hours vet is for emergencies only?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Wish I could say for sure?
Most eye issues, if the eye globe appears okay, could maybe wait a few hours. But, that is a bit of a guess since I can't do my own exam.
Hope that helps!
Dr. Andy