Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My springer Spaniel 9 years old was given one dose of Liquid

My springer Spaniel 9 years old was given one dose of Liquid metacam in yesterdays
food and this afternoon just walked away from her dinner really loss of appetite, have
read on line about complications from this drug, she will not even take her favourite
small biscuit and just wants to sleep. Is there anything we can give her to counteract
the effects of this, She has been in good health and was only give this Metacam because
she had cut her foot over a week ago and after a week on antibiotics was still a little bit swollen
Can you advise, really worried, she has always been so lively
Thank you for any advice you can give me
Elaine Webster
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, my best guess, if available to you, is to give an antacid, just in case there is stomach nausea from the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or any other medication being given.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.
Also, ideally, you don't want to mix in the food! Why?
Then, they won't eat the food. It is best for the metacam to be directly squirted in the mouth, following eating. Much better that way, and they don't get wise to simply avoiding the food.
But, in the meantime, an antacid is best option to help with any active stomach distress.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy