Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hello, I have always owned Weimaraners since 1978 I adore

Customer Question

I have always owned Weimaraners since 1978 I adore the breed!
As an owner of a deep chested dog I have always been aware that they could be prone to 'gastric torsion (bloat) and therefore have always taken every precaution to ensure they would not get this, i.e. always fed them a good healthy diet, never taken for walks immediately before or after a meal, used the correct feeders etc., etc.,
Unfortunately in February of this year I sadly lost my beautiful beloved dog Joe to this awful condition. He was 11 years old. He was a very fit, trim and energetic dog.
My other three beautiful Weimaraners fortunately did not get this and all lived to good ages.
I am finding it very hard to come to terms with how Joe died, I am heartbroken, as it happened so suddenly (as this does).
Because I was aware of this condition Joe was rushed to the emergency vets immediately, it was a Sunday evening. He was operated on straight away, the sad thing is he came through the operation bless him, but unfortunately died in recovery.
Could you please give me some indication of why this may have happened or any advice.
I did contact the breeder where I had Joe from who advised me that they too had a dog die from gastric torsion, it was in fact Joe's sister from the same litter. Could it be hereditary?
I would love to do some research into this to help other dogs in the future, what a great legacy this would be to Joe, so he would not have died in vain.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Pam Hughes
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
My condolences for your loss of Joe. There are quite a few postsurgical complications that we need to be aware of but the most common cause of death is due to cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart rate). It's important that an EKG be monitoring these patients for at least 36 hours after surgery for ventricular arrhythmias which are caused by hypokalemia (low potassium serum level). The arrhythmias are refractory to treatment with antiarrhythmics when hypokalemia is present.
In addition, anemia, hypoxemia (low oxygen saturation in the blood) and acidosis (too low of a blood pH) need to be corrected because many ventricular arrhythmias will resolve spontaneously if these systemic disturbances are corrected.
Additional life-threatening complications found less commonly include reperfusion injury, gastric necrosis with peritonitis if devitalized tissue isn't removed, gastric ulceration and perforation, disseminated intravascular coagulation, aspiration pneumonia, and recurrence of dilation or volvulus if inadequate gastropexy performed.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.