Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I took my hamster to the vets on Saturday because she had blood

I took my hamster to the vets on Saturday because she had blood coming out of her wee bottom the vet said she might have a form of wet tail but her poo was normal what could be the problem ?I am worried in case it was infectious as I have three other hamsters.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about your hamster. I am so sorry you lost your dear sweet Boo, but I will try to help you get the information you are looking for.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

I'd agree that a type of wet tail is one possibility for what was going on with Boo, but there are some other things, as well.

Dr. Jo :

It's possible that it was some type of bleeding problem even more than it was a GI problem. Even hamsters can become bleeders for a variety of reasons.

Dr. Jo :

A hamster could develop an inability to clot its blood (become a bleeder, or like a hemophiliac) because of the following reasons:

Dr. Jo :

1. Ingestion of some kind of mouse or rat poison.

Dr. Jo :

2. Ingestion of some types of heavy metals.

Dr. Jo :

3. An autoimmune disorder wherein the body's immune system attacks and destroys its own platelets.

Dr. Jo :

4. A hereditary disorder.

Dr. Jo :

5. A nutritional disorder.

Dr. Jo :

6. A hormonal disorder

Dr. Jo :

7. A type of shock called DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation) that can be the end result of a variety of types of serious illnesses.

Dr. Jo :

I completely understand your concern for infectious disease because you have other hamsters.

Dr. Jo :

You are right to worry, because infectious disease (like some kind of "wet tail" was still a possibility even though she had some normal feces.

Dr. Jo :

I'd recommend keeping a close eye on your remaining hamsters so you can tell if anything is amiss.

Dr. Jo :

You'll also want to do some good detective work to make sure there's nothing they're eating that they shouldn't.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are currently still offline.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, you may type in whatever you want to say and click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth.

Dr. Jo :

Even if I am offline, I will be notified of your response via email.

Dr. Jo :

Again, I am so very sorry for the loss of Boo. I know that even a tiny pet can hold a huge place in our hearts.

Customer:

My hamsters all eat the same foods and treats they are always supervised when out of there cages and they have an exercise ball each as my flat has carpets and lots of places to hide I don't let them free range. I also wondered if I could give my other hamsters boos toys if well washed, I have some wooden toys to but I'm not sure how or if they can be sterilised to make them safe to reuse?.

Dr. Jo :

Good, I'm glad they are so well supervised. This makes heavy metal poisoning and exposure to rat poison or similar products much less likely.

Dr. Jo :

If you sterilize Boo's toys by first cleaning them, then soaking them in a 1:20 dilution of bleach for ten minutes, that should make them safe for the other hamsters.

Dr. Jo :

Any toy that can't handle that kind of disinfection should be thrown away.

Customer:

What type of nutritional disorder would cause bleeding?

Dr. Jo :

If a hamster's diet is deficient in essential vitamins (like Vitamin K) or nutrients like iron, he could end up unable to manufacture the necessary red cells, platelets, and clotting factors.

Customer:

What could I feed my other hamsters to make sure they are getting the correct vitamins and minerals ?

Dr. Jo :

If your feeding them a balanced mix of enriched hamster food, you are in good shape. What are you feeding them?

Customer:

Pets at home Musili mix and hamster pellets I also give them a little piece of fruit or veg if I have it and have given them a little bit boiled egg, as I don't often have fresh veg can they have cooked frozen veg unsalted?

Dr. Jo :

It sounds like you are feeding your hamsters a very good diet. Keep in mind what is a "tiny" bit of a treat to you or me can actually end up being a very large percentage of their diet. You will want to be sure the hamster pellets are at least 75% of their diet and the other foods (Musili mix, fruits, and vegetables) combine to only 25%. Feeding a small amount of cooked frozen vegetables is fine as long as it falls within these guidelines.

Customer:

I have the pellets and Muslim mix in a tub together I try to give them more of the pellets than the musili the fruit veg and egg are mostly as a treat should I add some seeds or nuts to there food or should they just be given as treats?

Dr. Jo :

They should be given just as treats as well. The pellets are our best effort at something that is 100% nutritious and complete. That's why they should comprise the bulk of the diet for maximum health.

Customer:

I only added the musili in with the pellets as one of the hamsters wouldn't eat the pellets now I think he eats a bit of everything I've stopped giving them so much food as just like people they were picking out the best bits and leaving the pellets and I was leaving the food bowl in the cage till they ate it but im not sure if that is a good thing to do?

Dr. Jo :

Good for you. Yes, like people they will pick out foods they like the best but not necessarily make healthy choices. You need to offer anything other than the pellet in very small amounts.

Customer:

Are the mineral licks any good as I had to keep buying them for my other female hamster as she just keeps chewing them until it is a pile of powder, she has lots of wood to chew but she seems to like mineral lick destroying.

Dr. Jo :

You can rest assured that she is ingesting some of that mineral lick goodness. Yes. The mineral licks are worthwhile. It is totally normal that she would turn them into piles of powder. Good for you.

Customer:

Thank you very much for all your help and advice I will keep a close eye on the hamsters just in case they become unwell to. I just wish I could have done more to help boo but it happened so quickly that I did what I thought was best for her.