Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Hi, Ive got a 2and. Half year old yellow lab whos normally

Hi, I've got a 2and. Half year old yellow lab who's normally in very good health, but yesterday started being sick. It's not the sickness that I'm worried about it's more the sound of the heaving and gipping. There is no food in his system but he has been drinking water, he sounds very dry and wheezes when breathing.
He was well up until yesterday afternoon the only thing he did do was start eating sheep poo while he was out on his walk in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
If he is continuing to do any heaving, he must get in to an emergency vet. No option.
Next, must settle the stomach.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.
I wasn't sure what antacids you have access to, so a few options above.
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly
Wheezing when breathing would suggest something in the airway or the lungs. So, that does raise some concern for anything that was heaved up accidentally went back down in to the airways. That can cause aspiration pneumonia.
Don't worry about offering any food for at least 12 hours from when any heaving stops. But, I do think there is a good indication to consider the ER trip.
I will pray for a speedy recovery.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: 2003 Graduate