Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is vomiting yellow bile and seems to be straining to

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting yellow bile and seems to be straining to poo; the vet says her bowel is empty and to starve her. She has a high temperature and is on antibiotics . We have slowly reintroduced food as he told us. It has now been a week and we are quite worried. She is ***** ***** sized.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets were reluctant to give you what is necessarily an unsatisfactory answer. While her symptoms are important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) for any one disorder. If improvement hasn't been seen in a week, diagnostic testing is essential and should consist of blood/urine tests and perhaps imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound. If testing has already been performed, I'd be pleased to review the test results if you can upload them to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not is you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com

If you have additional information - her age, past medical history, e.g., please let me know.