Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cat appears to have a sticky ears inside and possibly a

my cat appears to have a sticky ears inside and possibly a discharge in one  There is no hair just in front of the ears.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What color is the discharge?

Are you seeing Cassie scratch her ears (since the hair loss suggests that she may be)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The discharge in one ear looks like watery dried blood.

I haven.t noticed her scratching, but she rubs her head around any soft furnishing or my hands.

I would like to bring her in for a check, with it being bank holiday i thought I would not get an appointment. I did try ringing the surgery but no answer around 10am. I am naturally concerned.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Nadine,

If you are seeing dried blood, then I'd be more suspicious that she had had some scratching even not severe enough for you to catch her in the act. The most common reason for hair loss in front of the ears, behind the ears, and blood within the ear is due to cats scratching their ears with their sharp back nails. Otherwise, stickiness without discharge would just suggest some possible low grade irritation but no overt infection or mite infestation.

In regards ***** ***** here, as long as we don't have profuse bleeding it would not be considered an emergency and you can theoretically wait until tomorrow. That said, if you are keen to have her seen today then an increasing number of veterinary practices in our country do have bank holiday hours (for example my practice is open today and one of my colleagues is seeing urgent and regular cases today) or at least will see pets out of hours (though there may be an OOH fee as well as the consult charge). If you do want to be seen today, then I would advise ringing the practice again and letting it ring until you at least get their answering machine.

The reason for doing that is because even if they are not open today, your vet has a legal obligation to have contingency plans for emergency/urgent care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open now, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you cannot get ahold of them, then you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your other local options who may have open hours today. Or if you were concerned that she was very distressed, you could check the Vets Now website (LINK) to find your local ER that are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have herseen today.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** treatments for today, you will be limited in what you can do. If the blood is dried, then we don't need to intervene to stop bleeding. And while you can put olive ear drops (which are available OTC at grocery stores and chemists) in her ears to loosen wax and reduce irritation, you may want to hold off doing so to avoid disturbing any clot as this could lead to further bleeding. As well, if you did feel that her ears were irritating her, you could consider giving her a low dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine). This can be given as a dose of 0.25-0.5 of a 4mg tablet up to twice daily. Do be aware that we do like to use low doses in kitties since this can cause drowsiness in pets as it does in people.

Overall, the subtle signs you are seeing with her ears suggest that she may have a bit of irritation here. Therefore, if you think this is bothering her, you can try the above supportive care while ringing the local vets to see if they are open today. If they are, she can be seen today. Otherwise, it would be a cause of monitoring and supportive care until they are open tomorrow.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.