Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hi, I have a very sick dog. Several days of no appetite but

Hi, I have a very sick dog. Several days of no appetite but as no runs or vomiting refrain from the vet. Then two days ago a rash appeared on belly then today mucas stools dark and blood color. Also my partner found onion skin in the stools.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?
2- Has he been seen by a veterinarian?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- What is the appearance of the rash?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is 2.. He is seeing a vet tomorrow, he is around 20kg and is a collie. It was a red rash on belly but no open sores or spots. It is slowly fading now. But he is still very unwell and no energy at all and saliva with red eyes just wants to lay down. Is drinking water but no food still after 5 days of no appetite. Like I said though today is when the foul faeces started. He seems worse today energy wise.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Do you have any idea how many onions he could have eaten?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea because he is a naughty boy and goes through the bin after opening the kitchen door himself! I had no idea that's what he had eaten. Or if even that's the problem.His gums are a pinky while colour and his breathing is not as slow as normal .
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Has he been licking the rash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, onions are toxic to dogs and this can explain the symptoms that he is showing. Onions cause damage to the red blood cells leading to anemia. In addition, can be locally irritating to the gastrointestinal tract causing vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc. The mucus and blood in the stool are signs of inflammation in the colon (large intestines) which could be related to the onions. There are many other possible causes like ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc.
As far as the rash, it could be a completely different problem like a localized infection (bacterias, fungal), etc.
In this case friend, highly recommend keeping your appointment with family veterinarian in the morning. If he becomes weak, pale gums, vomiting, etc. do not wait and take him to the nearest ER veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- Change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%). If possible blend the food and feed him small amounts 4-6 times a day using a turkey baster. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet once stool is normal.

3- For the rash, wash area with an antibacterial soap. Then, apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2 times a day for the next week. Do not let him lick the area, if he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rash is fading and I believe it to all be interlinked. He is already very weak but he is keeping down water and not vomited at all.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The rash could be secondary to low platelets, this will need to be confirmed by your family veterinarian via blood work. For now, follow the above recommendations.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His heartbeat is also quite quick. Is there anything I can do this evening to help him?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, if you are noticing increases in heart rate the best option is to have him checked by ER veterinarian. There is nothing over the counter that I can recommend for you to give. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.