Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a stray cat who came last week with her last kitten.

I have a stray cat who came last week with her last kitten. The kitten has been re homed. Since the kitten went she seems fine but has not passed urine since Saturday. I've had cats before who only passed urine every few days but I'm worried that it may be due to the fact that she is no longer feeding. Her teats are quite hard and seem full of milk. She's booked in to be spayed on Thursday but I don't want her to be uncomfortable in the meantime.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she eating and drinking?
2- Are you keeping her strictly indoors or she is able to go outside?
3- Is she defecating?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is eating and drinking normally . I have her in the bedroom with all she needs and no chance of getting out. Yes, she is defaecating
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible that she is urinating in the box and you are not seeing the clumps in the litter or she is urinating somewhere else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And is it normal for her teats to be so hard but not inflamed ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Pauline, it is normal for her breast to be hard if she is not feeding, this will start to come down in the next week or so. Do Not let her lick her nipples, if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) to stop her from licking.
As far as the urine, I believe she may be urinating and you may have not found the evidence within the litter. You see, urine production is directly related to water and food intake. The fact that she is eating and drinking as usual, then, she is producing urine and it has to be eliminated; after 3-4 days her bladder would rupture, which she would be clinically ill. I would look closer at the litter for evidence of urine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter