Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi. I want to arrange for my terrier pup to have a vasectomy

Hi. I want to arrange for my terrier pup to have a vasectomy rather than a castration for a number of reasons. How can I find a vet who will perform this operation for me? My vet doesn't know of one. I live in North Yorkshire.
Many thanks for your help. LR
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. B. : Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Dr. B. : While vasectomies are not commonly performed in canine patients, there is no reason why a local specialist veterinary surgeon cannot perform this procedure for you. It will be a case of speaking (or having your vet do so) to the local referral surgeons to see if any are able to offer this service.
Dr. B. : In regards ***** ***** that I would consider contacting regarding this procedure, Calder Vets (http://caldervets.co.uk/) would be one of the most likely and best equipped to aid you. They have branches located throughout Yorkshire with a central clinic in Dewsbury where they have several specialist surgeons on hand. Otherwise, AMC Referrals has a branch in Yorkshire (http://www.amcreferrals.com/8-yorkshire.html).
Dr. B. : Finally, just to help you look for any surgical specialists closer to you, you can check the RCVS register at http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/advanced-search/ . When doing so, make sure to click "small animal surgery" in the "RCVS recognized specialist in". Alternatively, you can check for a surgeon with just a certificate in surgery but they don't tend to have the level of training that boarded surgeons have. Therefore, you would need to discuss whether they can offer this service themselves.
Dr. B. : I hope this information is helpful. If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )