Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can i give my yorkshire terrier citerizine and what is the

can i give my yorkshire terrier citerizine and what is the recommended doze for her
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Zyrtec { citerizine } is sometimes given to dogs and is regarded as safe in the species

Scott Nimmo :

A reasonable dose rate is 1 mg/kg of your dog's bodyweight given orally once a day

Scott Nimmo :

This is well documented in an article from the Canadian Veterinary Journal which you can read HERE This is a reputable journal and a proper study but there are many other anecdotal accounts on the internet.

Whether you want to use this drug or not is up to you as it is a human drug and not licensed for animals, the above article will help you make up your mind. One of the reports conclusions is :

" Cetirizine was well tolerated by most dogs in this trial, with only 2 dogs (9%) experiencing mild and transient side effects. This compares very favorably with results with other antihistamines "

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott