Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi I own a cat boy long haired age 17 years hes wormed every

Customer Question

Hi I own a cat boy long haired age 17 years he's wormed every 3 months and flea,d every month but for the last three weeks he,s constantly hungry and scrounging for food if anything I,m over feeding him to make him content but it's not working and he,s over grooming and loosing his fur I'm worried now something's wrong can you help .
Wendy
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi Wendy, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'd love to be of help to you and Harry. It is great that Harry is eating so well still because he probably has a very treatable disease. . .hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroid kitties eat tons and don't gain weight and can even lose weight. They are usually VERY vocal, may urinate and defecate in all the wrong places, may have vomiting and diarrhea, and may overgroom.

Dr. Barbara :

To determine if this is his problem, your vet will need to do an exam and blood test. There are other possibilities also, that could be troubling Harry. He could be an early diabetic. These kitties also initially eat a lot, but will ultimately become very ill without treatment and their appetites will wane. This again can be discovered in a blood profile.

Customer: Thank you very much I'll get a blood test done ASAP
Customer: regards Wendy
Hi Wendy,
Thanks so much for the rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I'll put you and Harry in for a little follow up chat in about 3 days, just to hear how things are going. . .there is no more charge for this, and I would like to know.
Best of luck,
Dr. Barbara