Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I want to worm my tortoises what do I use

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now ideally when we are worming tortoise, we do want to first consider testing a fecal sample. This will tell us whether the tortoise has parasites, what species, and how heavy the worm burden is for them. If you have more then one, then you can pool their stool samples so that you only have to pay for one fecal test (otherwise you can take a sample from one and treat all based on those results if you wished). Depending on the findings of a fecal exam, you will then be in a position to select the best worming treatment for them. And if the sample is negative, then worming wouldn't be necessary.

Otherwise, generally speaking, we tend to worm this species with Fenbendazole (Panacur). This does come in a range of preparations (ie powder, liquid, palatable paste) but we do tend to find the paste easiest to use (as it can be mixed with food or given directly). You can read more about how to dose and treating with Panacur HERE. As you will see, it is very important to weigh the tortoise before calculating out their individual wormer dose for treatment.

Overall, with my patients I do prefer to check a stool sample before worming. If they are clear of parasites, then we don't need to worm them. But if they are positive, then we know what is lurking in their GI and can ensure we treat them effectively.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )