Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my has been in her first season but its now 5 weeks and

Customer Question

my bitch has been in her first season but its now 5 weeks and is still bleeding heavily and is hardly eaten. I have taken to the vets but they put it down to her season i am not convinced and seeking 2nd opinion but need help and advice over night. Also being sick today. help
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm not convinced either. A prolonged estrus is defined as a combined proestrus and estrus of >6 weeks or a cytologic estrus that lasts for >21 days. The initial test should be a vaginal cytology during which vaginal cells are examined in order to determine which stage of the heat cycle she's actually in. Prolonged proestrus alone must be considered as well but treatment is the same as for prolonged estrus. Please see below.
If estrus is truly prolonged (most common), follicular cysts - estrogen-secreting cysts - are the most common etiology at such a young age. These cysts can be treated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone or human chorionic gonadotropin which results in luteinization of the follicles. (Follicles that have ovulated become corpora lutea which are structures that produce progesterone - the hormone that causes false pregnancies and maintains actual pregnancy.)
It's important that persistently high levels of estrogens be addressed in order to avoid bone marrow suppression. Antibiotics aren't indicated unless infection in the genital tract can be confirmed by culturing the discharge, visualizing a pyometra (pus-filled uterus) in X-rays or ultrasound, and/or noting an increased white blood cell count in combination with those other findings. Coagulopathy (clotting defect) should remain on the differential diagnosis list.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for advice I get the feeling the vet doesn't really know. She is very weak and limp no tail wagging or eating even fav foods. I am going straight back first thing as no 24hr service. Is there anything i can do to help during the night? to keep her energy up? she is drinking a little.

Thank you soooo much for your help x

You're quite welcome. I'm concerned that Misella may now be anemic from blood loss and/or bone marrow suppression. Please take a look at her gums and tongue color for me. They should be nicely pink - not whitish.
I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have checked and compared with my other staffie his are reddish pink. Hers are very pale pink wouldn't say white but pale only slightly pink more my skin colour. :(

Thank you. That's a bit worrisome. She needs to have her hematocrit (red blood cell count) checked tomorrow morning. Feel free to share our conversation with Misella's vet.
I'm sorry, no. There's little for you to do at home other than trying to keep her hydrated by offering very tasty fluids - milk, cream, broth, soups, e.g. You can also administer a pediatric fluid/electrolyte replacer (Pedialyte, e.g.) by poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek...as much as she'll tolerate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice you are amazing xxx Fingers crossed my baby will be ok xx

It's my pleasure. I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Please feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will update of course have completed info request and ranked you. Shame there wasn't a fabulous option! :)

Thanks once again for being there and your fab advice x

Thank you for your kind words!

Speak to you later.
May I have an update on Misella, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is going to the vets today so I will have any update for you later today :)

Sounds good. I'll be patient.