Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Rhodesian ridgeback cross has lost weight recently, mostly

My Rhodesian ridgeback cross has lost weight recently, mostly off his back end. What food can I give him to help him put weight back on
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So the weight loss is mainly of the hind limbs?
2- Was he eating as usual and was losing weight, correct?
3- Is he drinking more than usual?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Is he currently on any medications?
6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He is eating and drinking normally, upto us changing his brand of food but he doesn't seem to like it. He has no previous medical conditions and is on no medication..
The vet he saw a week ago thinks he could have arthritis as his back claws are worn down a lot. He seems his normal self personality wise and looks the same on his top half. His bottom half you can see his bones in his backend.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, when we see weight loss mainly of the hind limbs and hip area this is not a nutritional problem. Instead, it is muscle atrophy secondary to lack of use or the loss of nervous input to the limbs. This is often seen in dogs that have arthritis of the hips, spine, a bulging disc, etc. So, changing diet is not going to help your dog to gain weight in the back end.
I would recommend you discuss with your family veterinarian starting him on an anti inflammatory medication like Rimadyl long term. By keeping him on medication will make him more comfortable and able to load weight on his limbs; this will stop any further atrophy and promote the muscles to grow back. Finally, I would also start him on Cosequin (Glucosamine) long term, this supplement will promote the production of joint fluid. Give at label dose long term, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter