Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have had four rescue hens since the beginning of July, they

I have had four rescue hens since the beginning of July, they have a large run and during the day they mix quite happily. The one at the end of the pecking order has not grown new feathers in fact I think that she has less now than when I got her. The thing that is causing me the most concern is that her back end is raw and there is blood where her tail feathers have been pulled out. .
Please advise, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry that your poor hen is having this problem. Unfortunately you can't tell the other hens to stop what they are doing. Until the problem heals Scabby needs to be removed from the other hens. She can be in a cage or coop near them but not in the same area as the other hens. About 1/2 of the time if we get the back end healed the other hens won't be as attracted to Scabby and will start leaving her alone. The other 1/2 of the time she'll need to be permanently separated which is ok simply because it is not good to have to live in constant fear for your safety. Which Scabby clearly is at this point. To get the skin to heal coat it with Healx Soother twice daily after she's been separated until the skin looks normall and new feathers start growing. Then we can experiment with reintroducing her to the flock.
Healx soother can be found here: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-supplies-wound-care-products-c-141_169/healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. scabby is well able to take care of herself during the day but I will see if I can isolate her at night time.