Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059

our dog a two year old shzpoo has been sick several times,showing

our dog a two year old shzpoo has been sick several times,showing white bile.He is normally active but is now very quiet and looks uncomfortable.He has not eaten allday or taken water.This morning he was sick with yellow bile.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Benji who has vomited several times today and who seems quiet and uncomfortable now. My name is***** and I am happy to be able to help you today.

It definitely sounds as though he is not feeling very well and the fact he has vomited several times now indicates he probably has some abdominal discomfort as well. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something or he shouldn't have - or even from raw meat - particularly if it was chicken), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within his bowel) . If this has been going on for most of the day and Benji has not had much to eat or drink, then I would definitely encourage you to get him examined at your local Vet or emergency vet. It is much better being safe than sorry in these situations as there could be a myriad of things going on here and only a full Veterinary physical examination can help pinpoint the cause of the problem in order to instigate a treatment and of course set your mind at ease and give your boy some comfort from todays events!

Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet in the morning - unless he seems absolutely symptomless by then. Please keep a close eye on Benji's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you are best to with hold his food until first thing tomorrow morning. From then, try him with a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for a day or two. Right now you need to continue to offer him pleny of fresh water, and try to encourage him to drink. If he can't keep water down, then he will quickly become dehydrated, so if this is the case - you will need to get him seen tonight.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).