Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my 11 yr old lurcher is really poorly today. Usuully she is

my 11 yr old lurcher is really poorly today. Usuully she is fit, healthy and runs every day. She woke me at 3.30 am to go out and pee which is highly unusual behaviour. She seemed to pee OK. But since then she has been v. lethargic, doesn't want to go out (she is usually raring to go for a run with my other dog), hasn't eaten a thing but has drunk a lot of water. I've noticed that she appears to be in pain. If i put my hand on her belly I can feel the muscles retracting and tightening and it appears to be slightly distended. She has been in her basket all day so far and just doesn;t want to move. I've taken a bowl of water to her and she has drunk lots. This is unusual in itself as usually she won't eat or drink whilst in her basket.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry that your poor pooch is feeling this way. I'm concerned that she is accumulating fluid in her abdomen. Fluid accumulation will cause pressure in her belly causing the tensing and discomfort when you apply pressure to her belly. The pressure in the belly also doesn't allow her bladder to fill which will make her have sudden urgency to pee or at least pee more frequently than normal. The fluid accumulation in her belly will also dehydrate her and make her want to drink a lot. The source of this problem can be low protein, heart disease, infection, liver disease and many other problems. She needs to see her vet right away as the longer the accumulation of fluid continue the tougher it is to correct. All of the causative conditions don't really have home treatments so she needs to see her vet as soon as possible.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. Of course I will get her to vet asap. The only thing that I note is that she has only peed once today and that is only after I insisted she go outside. She doesn't have any urgency to pee and has not pooped since yesterday. Thanks for your help anyway. Hopefully the vet will establish which is causing her symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
If she is pouring fluid rapidly into her abdomen she may not be making urine any more as a possibility.
Dr. Dan