Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our 9 year old springer has had diarrhea for 4 weeks now, has

Our 9 year old springer has had diarrhea for 4 weeks now, has seen the vet and had x- Ray 3 weeks ago when there was blood involved but nothing found. He has a history of sensitive digestion and we have put him on a sensitive dog food. Today again he is struggling to poo and has also vomited all his dinner. He seems to get grass stuck and needs to have this pulled from his Back end, which comes out like a sausage of tangled grass.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she straining when trying to defecate?
2- What is the name of the food he is on?
3- Is he currently on any medications or supplements?
4- Has he been dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he is straining and he is now on royal cannin sensitive digestion dry dog food. No medication and is regularly wormed
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by either primary problems occuring within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to systemic diseases. The fact that he is straining is a sign of inflammation in the colon, he has colitis. There are many possible causes for colitis. Common causes are: Intestinal parasites, infections, IBS (inflammatory bowel disease), tumors, etc.
If the initial blood work and xrays were normal then the next step is to consider doing an abdominal ultrasound to take a closer look at what is happening in the gastrointestinal tract. Your vet may need to take tissue samples (biopsy) when doing the ultrasound. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Request from your veterinarian a medication called Flagyl (metronidazole), this will help with the inflammation, infections and a parasite called Giardia.

2- Make sure the dewormer given treats for Whipworms and Coccidia; both of these parasites are known to cause chronic diarrhea.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with inflammation and regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- I would change his diet to a grain free diet with a different source of protein then he has had in the past. Avoid ingredients like corn, gluten, wheat, soy, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter