Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hello My dog is drinking a lot ow water & then passing it

Customer Question

My dog is drinking a lot ow water & then passing it a short time later he is also panting non stop
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?
2- Is he on any medications?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- When you say he is passing it, do you mean in the urine or vomiting?
5- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its been going on and off for 2 weeks yes both urine & vomiting it has got worse in the last hour
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Has he been vomiting in the last hour?
2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes vomited twice he is 30 kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Eugene, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), tumors, kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Him vomiting is secondary to the excessive water intake or any of the above mentioned diseases.
To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. If he is doing poorly I would have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian, important to rule out diabetes. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with ER vet or family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't get in contact with my vet as it is 02.10 in the morning here should I keep letting him drink water
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
No, fast him as I described above then gradually introduce water. If he continues drinking excessively he will continue to vomit making things worst.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Peter thank you He won't sit or lie down & just keeps walking around I noticed earlier when I had to bring him outside his back legs were going from under him
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
His legs going from under him is a sign of weakness which is secondary to what is causing him to drink more, this further supports diabetes though it can also be seen with tumors and kidney disease.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Peter I thank you very much for your expert advice he is lying down now & maybe he will sleep for a while
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're Welcome Eugene, keep me posted with vet findings.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Fair enough.