Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Possible WORMS

I use advocate with our puppy Doug every month we've had him since April he's now 6 months old and last given advocate 23/8/2014. He's really lost his appetite recently and notice a noodle like worm this am in his stool which was semi soft?? Can I give another worm treatment in between his doses of advocate
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If you have seen a noodle like worm in his stool, then I do suspect that Doug has round worms. As well, it is worth noting that if we are seeing that dead worm then it does suggest that the Advocate is actually doing its job (otherwise that worm would still be hanging out in Doug's GI, as they don't leave willingly). Still if you are keen to follow up with another wormer to cover bases a week after you have applied the Advocate, you can do so using Milbemax (More Info). We often use these two in combination with a week apart if we suspect a heavy worm burden. This is available at your vets and they just need to have a recent weight (which they should have if they are dispensing his Advocate) to make sure they give you the right size.

Otherwise, since he has had loose stools, you can also consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should be easier for him to absorb if he does have some GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the diarrhea is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Finally, if he does have a bit of loose stool that doesn't settle with worming, I would note that you could also consider covering bases with Protexin Pro-Fiber (example) It is also available OTC at vet practices and can firm up his stools while providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI in case there has been a disturbance there.

Overall, you can worm again and I would advise using a Milbemax from is vet as a good option post-Advocate at this stage. Otherwise, a bit of supportive care could also just settle these signs if he just has a bit of stomach upset. But of course, if he doesn't pick up or there is any chance he could have eaten something he should not have, then we'd want him to have a wee check with his vet to make sure he isn't brewing a stomach bug.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply as its sunday would there be an over the counter from the pet shop say petsathome in the UK that I could get so that i dont have to wait until later in the week to speak with our vet??

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Maria.

You could see if Pets at Home carries Milbemax or Drontal (the ones with vet practices attached do tend to). Some pharmacies (like Boots, Asda Pharmacy, etc) also carry Drontal, so that too would be an option.

Otherwise, the other grocery/pet store quality wormers (ie Bob Martin or Bephar) could be used but these products are less effective (and often a waste of time and money). Therefore, if you couldn't get a quality wormer from Pets at Home or Boots, then you would be better off providing a light diet and supportive care until tomorrow when his vet is open (since this again would be over the counter and not require you to see the vet to obtain). That way you'd be able to ensure he got proper treatment to remove any lingering worms and not end up stuck having to wait another 1-2 weeks before you could give anything else after those less effective wormers.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Dr B, i only had doug weighed on Friday at our Vet he is 8.9kgs. im sure pets at home near us stock drontal is that a tablet type medication or syrup please. I would rather try today if you think Drontal is suitable

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, Maria.

If you have a recent weight, then the Drontal (which is a tablet, not a liquid preparation) from Pets at Home would be fine.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.