Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my 18 month old dog (labradoodle)has just had a wobbly turn

my 18 month old dog (labradoodle)has just had a wobbly turn after running around with other dog for about 10 mins - this is the second time she has done this. We had her heart checked when she went into be spayed a few months ago and all send fine - her gums go pink afar being pressed. Is this something to worry about or does she just not know when to stop?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what happens?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she finds a dog to play with then plays chase and runs full on for a while and then either flops down panting heavily or stops and when we walk on she seems disorientated and veers around. I let her rest then she walks on but very wobbly and falls over - this lasts for about 5-10 minus. he does not seems distressed just a bit out of it.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How often is this happening?
2- Did your vet do any blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vet took blood test but we heard nothing further - it has happened twice like this - sometimes she will just flop down when tired and have to wait for her get her self together.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure. In other words, her incoordination, collapse, disorientation, etc. are brought upon by abnormal activity of the electrical impulses in the central nervous system. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. In a young dog the most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).
In this case, I would highly recommend you phone your vet to check on the blood results. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures.
I would also recommend a grain free diet like Taste of Wild or California Natural; we are learning that ingredients like gluten (protein in wheat, rye and barley), corn, soy, and casein (protein in milk) can play a role in seizure activity in dogs. Table food and treats should also be free of the above ingredients.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter