Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 6 year old greyhound ate a small cumberland sausage containing

My 6 year old greyhound ate a small cumberland sausage containing mustard and onion about 30 mins ago. She doesn't have any symptoms but I am worried because I understand that onion is poisonous to dogs. She has a bit of a sensitive stomach so usually has a very bland diet (meat/fish/kibble/rice/potato). Should I wait to see if she gets any symptoms and in the meantime is it OK to feed her her normal diet?
Ann
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Belle eating a sausage containing onions.
Onions and garlic can be toxic for dogs because they cannot digest them properly leading to red blood cell damage, anemia and secondary organ damage.
The toxicity is dose dependent however. That means that a dog must eat a certain amount of onions per kilogram of body weight to see signs of toxicity. They must eat at least 15grams kilogram of body weight of onions in order to see toxic effects. Even if she is a small greyhound, say 25 kilos, she would need to eat at least 375 grams of onion to see toxic effects. It is unlikely that one small sausage had that much in it.
I would not worry about seeing any onion toxicity symptoms in Bella but sausage is very greasy so you may see some vomiting and diarrhea from that.
To try and settle her stomach today and avoid upset you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.
I would not feed her any food for 12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility and decrease the chances of diarrhea.
Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids.
If she has loose stools 
you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin formulation) at 0.5ml per kilogram or 1 tablespoon per 7 kilograms pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.
You can skip the kao pectate if she doesn't have any loose stools, just go with the acid reducer and bland diet.
If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting even with the acid reducers or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.
After her food fast you can use a bland diet for several days consisting of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
Once she feels better (no loose stools for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. small