Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

brown leakage from my dogs bum with a odour smell

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the secretion coming out of her anus or does she have a swelling that ruptured on the side of the anus?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes its coming from her anus and there is a little swelling

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jake, the discharge you are seeing is coming from the anal glands. Dogs have two anal gland inside their anus that builds up fluid. Sometimes this fluid is expressed when the dog is stressed or even when they are too full. It sounds like her anal glands are full and need to be expressed. To express them this is done within minutes by either your family veterinarian, technician or even a groomer for a small fee. She will be fine, this is very routine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter