Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have two tortoises I got them from registered supplier think

Customer Question

I have two tortoises I got them from registered supplier think they are desert tortoises small they were about 3 inches when had them and about 5 inches now, we have had them 7 years they have never hibernated. We were told they would not hibernate until at least 5 inches and grow to about 6 inches eventually. We have followed all advice re uv lamp, heat lamp, diet, vitamins. One was making noise for few weeks which we thought may be mating call and it now hasn't moved for few days but under heat lamp it stuck head out further. We don't know if it is hibernating as its so warm weather still, or pregnant or ill or died. We don't have vet locally and not sure what to do! Please could you offer advice on how we can tell many thanks
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is Anna, and I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I would like to help with your tortoise, but some additional information will be useful.

We need to know for sure what kind of tortoise you have. Can you send a picture? You can upload a photo by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture in a REPLY.

Does the trotoise live inside? If so, how is it housed - a tank, tortoise table, etc.?

What temepratures doy ou maintain under the basking light and on the cool side?

What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?