Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

my cat was seen by a vet over 4 weeks ago as she is scratching

my cat was seen by a vet over 4 weeks ago as she is scratching her neck and ears and washing her self more than usual. They said she was perfect in health- her weight her ers are clean her skin is clean . So why is she suffering this way?????
Tammy is an inside cat but does go out during the day and keeps coming back for her food but by 5pm she is in for the night. When she is out she goes into the fields. I wonder if she has picked some thing up or it or is I the voles. I have so many brought to me alive BUT she has bought some back and to my discussed has eaten them.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Tammy.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry you are having this difficult problem, but happy you are looking for the information you need to help her.

Dr. Jo :

There are many different things that can make a cat very itchy, but not show anything on the skin.

Dr. Jo :

The prednicare tablets you have received from the vet should eliminate most kinds of allergic itchy problems.

Dr. Jo :

If this hasn't worked, it probably means Tammy's problem isn't allergic in origin.

Dr. Jo :

If she were my patient, I would still treat her for fleas and mites. Just because they aren't seen, doesn't mean they can't be part of the problem.

Dr. Jo :

My first choice would be to apply Revolution to her. This product safely and effectively treats fleas, ear mites, skin mites, and many other pests. You would need to reapply it every two weeks for at least three doses to eliminate most pests.

Dr. Jo :

By the way, I should add that you can join the conversation by typing in what you want to say and clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Customer:

I have tried Dr Martins flea killer in the tubes 3 times and the spray still not reaction

Dr. Jo :

Also, do you have other cats in your household?

Customer:

no

Customer:

would eating the voles do this

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry, but the Dr. Martins flea killer does not have a good reputation for being safe or effective. It's not the best product to use.

Customer:

which is the best please

Dr. Jo :

The only way eating anything (voles included) could cause itchy skin would be if Tammy were allergic to eating voles. Even so, if that were the case, the prednisolone should relieve that symptom. The voles are not likely the source of the itch. They could be a source of fleas, however.

Dr. Jo :

The best product for cats is Revolution. I can take a moment to see if it is available in the UK.

Dr. Jo :

This link makes it look like Revolution is available in the UK.

Dr. Jo :

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/gbpeur/itemMatrix.asp?ic=REV-6-BL&eq=&MatrixType=2

Customer:

I thought the tabletswas given would have cured but no. where would I get the prednisolone from

Customer:

thank you will try this I feel so sorry for tammy it is not getting better at all

Dr. Jo :

Prednisolone is the same thing as the Prednicare you are currently trying.

Dr. Jo :

To be clear, you should continue giving the prednicare tablets exactly as described. Do not stop.

Dr. Jo :

It may be that she just needs a little longer for the prednicare to work.

Dr. Jo :

Also, some conditions (especially mites), will get worse on prednicare. If that's what's happening with Tammy, your vet will certainly want to know.

Customer:

really it is a shame that this vet did not tell me this.,

Dr. Jo :

Mites can be hard to find and difficult to diagnose. Whenever I have a patient who I think has allergies but ends up getting worse on prednicare, I end up treating for mites, even if I can't find them.

Dr. Jo :

Yes, I'm so sorry Tammy is itchy.

Dr. Jo :

It can be really severe sometimes.

Customer:

I took her too new vet which opened one of these vets for pets thinking they would be good but I think I shall go back to Tammys old vet. Yes it is so severe she and I get very little rest during the night,

Dr. Jo :

That's definitely severe!

Dr. Jo :

Tammy and you BOTH need some relief!

Dr. Jo :

Please do continue working with a vet you trust and feel comfortable with in order to get the relief you need as quickly as possible.

Dr. Jo :

Tammy will thank you.

Customer:

thank you yes during the night I hear the bed shaking as she sleeps on the bed in her own bed. Thank you

Dr. Jo :

It's also possible that Tammy's problem has progressed enough to make it easier to identify. Having a fresh set of eyes (your old vet) look her over is a very good idea.

Dr. Jo :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

thank you shall book an appointment

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for using our website. I'm glad I could be helpful.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Jo :

When you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please be sure to click ACCEPT so I receive credit for my time. I wish you and Tammy rapid relief!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you help me if I add a bonus is this on top of the 13 pounds I have just paid and shall I have this money taken out of my account each month

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
I am happy to help you with any additional questions you ask about Tammy through the website.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the details about how the payment is made on your end. That information should have been available to you in writing when you started using the website.

If you like, I can report this question to the category moderator in order to provide you with technical assistance regarding payment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please I do not want them taking money out twice as I may have gone to the c=vet in the beginning. I thought this money they have taken out is what they give you==sorry for this mix up