Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi my 14 month old male Dutch rabbit on Thursday morning I

Hi my 14 month old male Dutch rabbit on Thursday morning I put it food in its bowl it wouldn't eat or drink so I took him to the vets straight away he found some bloating and was in pain they kept him in he's been on mobility drugs and pain killer and he's being syringe feed he won't take his own food or drink water they also done an X ray there's no blockages done blood tests no problem all fine the vet checked his teeth all ok but he's grinding his teeth very loudly and his mouth is shaking the vet is going to x ray his jaw to look at his roots can someone please help
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I'm sorry that your bun is having this problem. If he is grinding his teeth loudly then there is some significant pain somewhere, possibly in the jaw or occurring from the bloating that still may be present. At a minimum he needs to have an added pain medication (tramadol or buprenorphine) or we need to be more aggressive with his dose of pain medications. Some rabbits that aren't eating or drinking enough also need to be in IV fluids as they are not taking in enough fluid to get their guts moving, even under the influence of a motility drug. I agree the jaw needs to be looked at with xrays but for sure based on the symptoms more pain control and possibly IV fluids are needed for at least 24-48 hours.
These cases can be tough, and change very rapidly. I think it's time to get back to the vet... not much you can do at home besides give the meds and make sure the feeding continues.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help I've left him in overnight he's to wild for me to feed him

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
That sounds like the best plan.
Dr. Dan