Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We are in a right pickle, our 11 week old cockerpoo had his

Customer Question

We are in a right pickle, our 11 week old cockerpoo had his 8 week injections at the vets with the breeders, he had vanguard 7, DA 2 Pim and vanguard 7 CPV-L, we've just come back from our vets after having his, what we believed to be his second lot, him now being 11 weeks old, how wee the vets just telephoned us to say they have made a mistake and he will have to go back in 4 weeks to have vaccination again as they used Nobivac DHPPI and Nobivac L4 and the vet that administered this drop was not aware they were not compatible! We are obviously really cross as none of this was explained in the vets at the time, think somebody else picked this up later. I need to know if our dog is safe to be out walking in two weeks or not? We know of course there could be some risk but not as much as if he hadn't had them. Me would also like to know how do we know if the vets have just given him the 8 week one again, is there Any difference in what they have at 8 and 10/11 weeks?
We have planned the dog and the vaccinations all around the children going back to school and me back to work so I could take him with me and walk him in my lunch break, he would of course all been up to date with his vaccinations then by 15th September.,this has totally messed all those plans up!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Kelie, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Basil hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response,but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

It's actually quite a common occurrence that breeders will give vaccines manufactured by a different company from the ones which a vet might use.

It actually is somewhat irrelevant, in a way, since Basil should be vaccinated at 16 weeks of age for his last DHPP vaccine.
This scheduling follows the standard protocol which is recommended by the AAHA Canine Vaccination Guidelines here in the States but this protocol is usually also accepted in the UK (and elsewhere), too.
In other words, core vaccines (DHPP) are administered at approximately 8, 12 and 16 weeks of age.
Rabies should be given at 12 weeks of age so that can be done in two weeks (there should be at two weeks between any vaccines which are given).
The first leptospirosis is usually given after 12 weeks of age (at least here in the States) and then the second one 2-3 weeks later.

If the first Lepotospirosis ("L" listed in the CPV-L) given by the breeder was a two-way vaccine, it won't be as protective as the L-4 which your vet gave. If that's the case, then he may need another L4 in a few weeks.

I don't consider pups to be adequately protected until after their last vaccine at 16 weeks or age and sometimes not even then if you live in a high risk area for Parvo and Distemper. It takes time for an individual's antibodies to develop and that may not occur until 5 months, in some cases....or a little longer, depending on the breed.
So, I typically advise owners to be pretty vigilant as to where they walk or take their pups until after that 4 month vaccination.

I can understand your frustration but if Basil is just 11 weeks old now, he wouldn't obviously be 16 weeks old by the 15th of September if I'm doing my math correctly.

I hope this helps although I suspect it's not exactly what you wanted to hear. And, I'm sorry for that but I would be doing a disservice to both you and Basil if I were less than truthful and honest in my response. I hope you understand. Deb