Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I have an 11 year old Lhasso Apso. She was at the Vets recently

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old Lhasso Apso. She was at the Vets recently & given a clean bill of health, Heart good & had put on weight! This morning she had an accident and her stools were thick runny & black and there is definately blood in them! She appears hungry BUT isnt eating. I am giving her water regularly to keep her hydrated . I have made an appointment for our Vets tomorrow morning BUT I am so worried as she has undergone 2 previous throat Cancer Operations One in Nov 2010 and one last Christmas 2013, but was told she would start to cough if it re occurred. This she hasn't done and has been fine. Please could you be honest with me in your diagnosis as I am devastated and tomorrow seems such a long time I need to know something.
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help but I have a few questions.

Has she had any vomiting?
Is her belly painful or bloated?
Has she eaten anything unusual recently?
How much blood is there in her stool?
Has she had any blood tests done recently?
What type of cancer did she have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She hasnt vomited, doesnt appear to be in pain around her belly , her stool appeared quite bloody ( Have a sample for our Vets ) I am unaware what Cancer she had only that it was a lump in the throat Biopsy report said malignant in 2010 & she was given 3months to a year to live . Another lump appeared before Christmas and I immediately took her to Vets where it was removed & I was told IF she started to cough then it had reached her lungs and it would kinder to say goodbye . Shge hasnt coughed and has been well until today! I am devastated BUT am hoping she has eaten a Bone as we live on a corner & people are very fond of throwing their Chicken Takeaways over our wall .Your advise would be appreciated for my peace of mind Thank you

Thank you for answering those questions. I'm not convinced her current problems are related to her cancer although a malignant cancer has the potential to spread to the intestinal tract and cause these symptoms rather than just to the lungs. The black in her stool is due to digested blood from her upper intestinal tract and the blood is from the lower intestinal tract. This can become a very serious and emergency situation called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). HGE is not well understood but in some dogs the intestinal tract is upset by a change in diet or stress leading to the blood. It can then progress to HGE and shock. Quick treatment with intravenous fluids (oral fluids are not enough to treat HGE) and medications are necessary to turn it around. It's also possible she may have a bleeding intestinal ulcer. Either way she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately rather than waiting until tomorrow morning. If she is developing HGE then waiting until morning could be too late. There is no way to know if she has HGE without some testing at a veterinary clinic and unfortunately there aren't any at home treatments you can do that will help the situation. Hopefully she isn't developing HGE but the only way to know for sure is to have her seen immediately. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for helping me to stay positive. She appears lively is holding her tail high , eyes look bright BUT still isnt eating and stools passed earlier on are still very black thick & runny. I am Registered disabled and have to rely on Transport, again difficult, some WONT carry Dogs hence appointment for 10am tomorrow when I have Doggie Transport & if needs be I shall sit up all night ensuring I keep her hydrated Any further help you could give me would be appreciated

You're welcome. I'm glad to help. Since you aren't able to have her seen sooner then most important thing you can do for now is to keep her as hydrated as you possibly can. Lot's of fluids and you can even try chicken broth if you have it handy. Stick to bland food such as boiled chicken breast and white rice and then only in very small amounts at a time (1-2 teaspoons at a time). If she vomits then take away the food and just continue with the fluids. Good luck. I hope she feels better soon.