Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Thank you for your answer. I will take Bracken to the vet tomorrow

Thank you for your answer. I will take Bracken to the vet tomorrow morning.She is panting quite frequently just now - is this a symptom of her injury ? She is a very highly strung dog at the best of times and will not let me examine her paw. Is there anything else I can do meanwhile ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome,
Panting can be seen as a sign of pain and of distress. So, this is quite possibly the reason for her signs (since this is akin to us ripping our nail off and exposing that very sensitive nail bed). If she is highly strung and not keen to let you look, then I would just let her settle post-pain relief (which can take 30min to an hour to reach peak effect). You can also consider dimming the lights and keeping things quiet to help her settle. If she is more relaxed once it takes effect, you can consider trying to examine it then. But if she is fretful, then you can just let her be for tonight (since the pain relief is the most important and urgent treatment here) and let her vet examine this tomorrow for her. Because at the end of the day, you will not be able to start antibiotics nor sedate her tonight, so keeping her as comfortable as possible post injury is the most important steps here tonight.
All the best, *****