Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have an 8am old vacation puppy. We got it last Monday. It

I have an 8am old vacation puppy. We got it last Monday. It had its first vaccination on Saturday. It has very bad diarrhoea which has red blood in it. It's a bit lathergic sort of feeling sorry for itself. It's drinking ok and eating ok. Could this be stress of moving house and get injections? Many thanks. Karen
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Biggle's loose stools and I understand your concern, especially because today you are seeing some blood. Blood simply indicates that the colon is irritated too.
If he seems to have a good appetite and no signs of nausea then those are good signs. If he were vomiting though, running a fever, (rectal temperature higher than 103F) feeling very lethargic because he is too young to have finished his vaccines then he may have picked up a viral infection and he should be seen by a veterinarian promptly.
Loose stools can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, pancreatic insufficiency, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. In young puppies parasites or bacterial or viral infections are the most common reasons for bloody diarrhea.
In young dogs because gastrointestinal parasites are a common problem checking a stool sample for parasites, as well as giving him a course of a broad spectrum worm medication like Panacur (fenbendazole) is recommended.
Probiotics are great for replacing normal small intestinal gut bacteria but aren't very helpful if this is only colitis. They are worth trying, and good products are Fortiflora and Benebac
To help soothe his irritated intestines today start with a 12 hour food fast. This will quiet intestinal spasms and restore normal gut motility.
In 24 hours start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal because you are seeing blood in his stools as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
Once he feels better (no loose stools for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.
Today you can also start Kao-pectate (kaolin and pectin formulation only) at 2ml per kilogram of body weight or 1 tablespoon per 7 kilograms of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate or a generic kaolin and pectin formula at the drug store.
If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have loose, bloody stools that aren't firming up at all after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.
Best of luck with your new fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.