Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has just swolled a nectarine stone what should I do

My dog has just swolled a nectarine stone what should I do..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- How long since she swallowed it?
3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is just a puppy not sure a west highlands terrier four months old half an hour ago took it off the coffee table and no to question three
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the concern would be a possible obstruction. This is what you can do:

1- Change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the stone out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you check the stool for the stone. If you don't see it in the stool in the next 1-2 days I would have family veterinarian take xrays with barium (contrast material) to make sure it is passing.

2- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter