Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

long story short, my Akita was very ill 8 weeks ago, vomiting

long story short, my Akita was very ill 8 weeks ago, vomiting lethargy, ended up having surgery, small intestine very inflamed. got biopsy results after 2 weeks, indicated possible lymphoma, sent off for another test which took 6 weeks (sample was mislaid) 4 days ago got result was definite lymphoma. vet is now researching treatment. since start of condition he has been on prednisolone. is this medication a treatment or just used to relieve symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

So sorry to hear about Storm

Scott Nimmo :

I have treated dogs with lymphoma on many occasions over the years, I will tell you what I know about this disease.

Customer:

thank you

Scott Nimmo :

I am going to be quite blunt here, so please excuse me ... If you go down the road of using prednisolone then your dog is likely to have a six week to two month remission period, during this remission period these dogs will be close on normal and have a good quality of life. At the end of the remission period the disease will come back with a vengeance and normally your dog will die very shortly after that.

Scott Nimmo :

There are more advanced treatment plans involving standard chemotherapy drugs which will give significantly longer periods of remission. However using steroids such as prednisolone alone previously will very much reduce the effectiveness of them if you decide to change treatments. So you have to decide which way to go from the start.

Scott Nimmo :

On the chemotherapy protocols I have personally undertaken the side effects I have seen have normally been quite minimal. What you would normally achieve would be six to nine months of remission and normal life but then the drugs become ineffective and the dog slips away. Cures are in theory possible but I personally have rarely seen any but you would have a much better chance of success if your dog is dealt with by a specialist oncologist at a referral center somewhere.

Customer:

that's what I suspected, its 8 weeks today, he is not the same dog he was but seems comfortable enough, drinking and eating ok thanks to the steroids, enjoys his walks, apart from lethargy, anxiety, depression perhaps he seems to be coping ok. obviously we know its in the intestine but am I correct in assuming it spreads pretty quick? what is the next stage/sympton likely to be?

Scott Nimmo :

I wish I had better news for you ...

Customer:

thank you for your honesty. I guess I knew the answer but wanted it confirming by an expert

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer:

thank you again but you have told me what I needed to know