Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 13 1/2 field cocker spaniel who has very dry flaky

I have a 13 1/2 field cocker spaniel who has very dry flaky skin in small circles spasmodically around his body particularly small bald patches on his tail. He is at the moment on rimadyl and gabapentine for aback injury he had at the age of 3 and 0.3 of soloxine for thyroid trouble. Added I this he had lost his brother 5 weeks ago. Can you help with an answer for his skin problem. I am shampoo with malaseb and using
Fuciderm gel occasionally.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he itchy?
2- How long has he had this skin problem?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not continuously itchy but tends to like skin occasionally under inside of back legs. More so more recent maybe around 5/6 weeks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Ann, the skin lesion you are describing are consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma); this is very common especially in dogs that have hypothyroidism.
I would recommend you discuss with your vet about starting him on oral antibiotics (cephalexin) for 2-3 weeks to resolve this minor problem. In the meantime, pick up in your local pet store an antibacterial shampoo (chlorhexiderm), bath him 2-3 times a week for the next 2 weeks with chlorhexiderm shampoo.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter