Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

iv got a 9 week old boxer, i dont know how but hes hurt his

iv got a 9 week old boxer, i dont know how but hes hurt his leg, his rear right leg wont come down and he cant bare weight on it. it looks like the pain is coming from the top part of his right rear leg, he cries when i try to extend it? any answers please?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I will do my best to help you with your questions about your boxer puppy.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry he's having trouble and has you worried, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need to help him.

Customer: Hi
Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

How long ago did he hurt his leg?

Customer: He looks like his leg has locked up at the top of his rear right leg
Customer: This afternoon
Dr. Jo :

I understand ... so he's holding the right rear leg up close to his body.

Customer: it pains him when I try to stretch it down he cries
Dr. Jo :

A few hours ago?

Customer: and also he can't put weight on it
Customer: yes and yes
Dr. Jo :

Okay.

Dr. Jo :

I'll let you in on a little trade secret.

Dr. Jo :

9 week old puppies can easily hurt their legs through any manner of circumstances.

Dr. Jo :

Even just during normal play.

Dr. Jo :

Sometimes the injury is minor, and sometimes it's severe. At first however, most puppies will act like it's really REALLY severe.

Dr. Jo :

They cry and hold the leg up and refuse to bear weight on it like your puppy is doing.

Customer: ok so what action should I take?
Dr. Jo :

If the injury is minor, after an hour or two the puppy will be back to normal. Completely normal - 100%, even if they acted really painful before.

Dr. Jo :

Since it's been a few hours for your puppy and he still won't bear weight on it, it's time for a trip to the vet.

Dr. Jo :

Some types of fractures can only be detected with x-rays.

Customer: What do you think it could be?
Customer: I bought him last week so my insurance doesn't start for another week also? What can I do with that?
Dr. Jo :

If this is a severe injury like a fracture, your puppy has a better chance for good healing if the fracture is identified and treated sooner rather than later.

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell for certain if the leg is fractured or not without x-rays in a case like this. Of course, if the leg were loose and floppy and noticeably crooked, you'd know. That's not always the case, unfortunately.

Dr. Jo :

Because your pup is so young and his bones are fragile, the safest course of action is to have him seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Dr. Jo :

If you cannot do this until tomorrow, the appropriate thing to do is confine him to his crate so he'll be as inactive as possible while waiting.

Dr. Jo :

Does this all make sense?

Customer: Yes it does thanks
Dr. Jo :

Good. I wouldn't recommend trying to splint the leg or anything like that.

Customer: So with the insurance not coming til next week how much will this cost realistically?
Dr. Jo :

That can do more harm than good.

Customer: Ye I wouldn't
Dr. Jo :

Typical vet visit = 440 -$70

Dr. Jo :

I mean $40 - $70

Dr. Jo :

xrays are usually about $120- $150

Dr. Jo :

If it's not broken and just needs to rest to heal, that's all you're looking at.

Customer: Ok thanks
Dr. Jo :

Simple fractures can be set and casted for about $300

Dr. Jo :

Complex surgical repairs run into the thousands.

Dr. Jo :

You'll know much more after the exam and x-rays.

Dr. Jo :

Also ... it's important to avoid the temptation to give him any medicine.

Dr. Jo :

Just quiet bed rest is the best thing for him.

Customer: Ye of course
Dr. Jo :

Anything else I can help you with?

Customer: ok thanks
Customer: no that's all thanks
Dr. Jo :

Good luck with your pup.

Customer: thanks