Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our 5 year old English Cocker Spaniel is panting and

Our 5 year old English Cocker Spaniel bitch is panting and trembling. She is off her food and does not want to go for a walk, both highly unusual. She was spayed when young. Any ideas what's wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is she walking any different?
3- Did she get into anything?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take her rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 No vomiting diarrhoea or coughing
2. Slowly walking and lethargic
3. Not that we know of
4 no
5 look normal
6 no thermometer
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she arching her back?
2- Is she weaker or abnormal gait?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 not arching her back
2 a lot weaker and lies down at every opportunity
3 no previous medical issue
4 15.3kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Roy, when we see panting, trembling, weakness, etc this can be related to either pain or a fever. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Neuromuscular disorders like a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging, infections, abdominal tumors, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Maddi is going to need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can for the above test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter