Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My female cat has been vomiting the last 48 hours and cant

My female cat has been vomiting the last 48 hours and can't hold her food down. There doesnt appear to be any hairballs in the vomit. Any answers
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any diarrhea?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Is she strictly indoors?
4- Is there always food in the vomit?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know if she has any diarrhoea as she goes outside to toilet

She is indoors most of the time but does go out into the garden and doesn't stray far. Yesterdaay the vomit was mostly water and she later I noticed that she vomited her dry food treats. I've stopped giving her these.

Today I have been in work, She had not eaten all day, appeared hungry and I gave her some wet cat food. She began vomiting this within 15 minutes. No preexisting medical conditions. Appears healthy.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
George, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that she has been vomiting for 48 hours I am concern about her hydration, for this reason I would strongly recommend having a hands on examination by a veterinarian, testing and supportive care (IV fluids) until a definitive diagnosis is reached. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest so that when you do offer water she does not vomit and is able to keep the water down.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter