Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog chased a cat in our local park last night. Unfortunately

My dog chased a cat in our local park last night. Unfortunately there was a ulmighty fight (horrid) which we reported to the RSPCA. Our dog obviously is covered in scratches etc. how're he has a wound on his leg. He is walking on it very gingerly but reluctant to walk. I have just noticed a lot of swelling/ fluid at the bottom part of his leg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking the wounds?
2- Is he eating and drinking?
3- Is he lethargic?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He's licking periodically but not all the time. He's not licking the leg that I am concerned about.
He has eaten treats but doesn't usually eat dinner until evening.
He hasn't had much fluid.
I don't think he's any more lethargic than usual. However he was reluctant to walk this morning
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, the swelling you are seeing is secondary to soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) trauma. Or, there is fluid secondary to the inflammation.
A major concern when dealing with bite wounds is that they can become very easily infected making things a lot worst. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked by family veterinarian to start him on oral antibiotics, pain killers/anti inflammatory medications. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Apply cold compresses in the swollen area for 5 minute 3-4 times a day.

5- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you peter.
Should we walk him? Or let him rest?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Activity should be limited to a short walk to urinate and defecate until the swelling is gone. It may take a few days but he will be fine once he started on medications.

You're welcome.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter