Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have 7 year old Italian Greyhound thats a about 23 lbs.

I have 7 year old Italian Greyhound that's a about 23 lbs. and she seems to be having trouble walking up and down the steps in our home along with jumping up on the sofa and bed at night. Also notice her patting a lot like she is over heated. Her walk looks normal but other than at the time she has too jump up or up and down the staircase. Please give me some advise on her?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This maybe started a little over a week ago. No other symptoms than what I've described, she acts as she is Hot and panting a lot while she in bed or laying on the sofa. She does have a heart murmur that I know! She is a bit over weight and I try and keep her from eating our other IG's food. I'm not sure of her exact weight?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
2- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gums are pink, her temp is 38.0
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Peter, her temperature is normal; thank you.

Peter, when we see panting in the absence of heat possible causes are: Pain, stress, cardiovascular disease, etc. Having a history of difficulty jumping and a heart murmur we need to rule out both either pain as a result of neuromuscular disease (arthritis, a pinched nerve along the back, etc.) or secondary to heart disease.
In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to rule out heart disease. In addition, they can start her on anti inflammatory medication is found to be related to neuromuscular disorders. In the meantime, pick up Cosequin (glucosamine) in your local pet store, give at label dose. Do not give over the counter pain killers or this will then limit your family vet as to medication they may want to use.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter