Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 3 year old neutered male cat has a swelling in the middle

Customer Question

My 3 year old neutered male cat has a swelling in the middle of his nose. Healthy in all other ways and swelling is not producing mucus, is clean no loss of fur and not tender. He is outdoor cat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Can you tell me how long this has been present?

Is it red, ulcerated, scabby, crust, warm, or inflamed?

Does it feel hard or soft? Fluidy?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. (How To) Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not crusty scabby or warm. Feels fairly soft and not causing pain when touched. So perhaps more fatty or fluid like. I noticed it first about 2 weeks ago and thought perhaps he had been stung by a wasp or something but could see no puncture wound. Will try to find him for a photo!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Gill,

A photo would be helpful as it iwll let me see what is actually present.
That said, I would just note that fatty growths on the nose are unlikely.

Do you think it has gotten bigger in size over the past 2 weeks or just stayed the same?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The photo is taken but there is no paper clip appearing on my ipad to send it. If there is an email address I can forward it to that would be good.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Oh dear,
I am afraid the website blocks email addresses and its again policy for me to give mine out. Therefore, you will either need to post it on a 3rd party website (ie Imgr) and then post the web address here. Otherwise, you can send it to customer service (HERE) but there is usually a delay in them getting it to me. But if you can post it and post the address here, then I can have a peek and give you an idea of what is on his nose.

Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I've uploaded I think to Imgr image called Wilbur
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Gill,

Can you post the web address (the www....) at the top of your screen for that page since searching for Wilbur is bringing up lots of unrelated things?

Cheers,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's
imgur.com/pMBcsyz
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it's
imgur.com/hseT42x
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
imgur.com/hseT42x
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

He has quite the Roman nose at the moment. Now if it feels fluidy (which can be true fluid or inflammation of the soft tissue, or infection), then we do have a few concerns. Specifically, we'd be suspicious of an inflammatory swelling from a sting, hematoma (like a blood blister) from trauma, or a mild abscess (due to bacteria gaining access to the tissue). Since has no nasal signs (sneezing, congestion, etc), diseases extending into the nose (ie fungal infections, growths, etc) would be less likely here.

In regards ***** ***** we need to take some steps to rule out or treat our common suspects. To start, to rule out a allergy based inflammatory reaction, you can start Wilbur on a low dose of Piriton (chlorphenamine) from the chemist. When we use ths, we often will give 1-2mg or 1/4 – 1/2 tablet of a 4mg Piriton tablet up to twice daily. Do note that while anti-histamines can make kitties drowsy. Therefore, we always keep the dose low and if he were to be drowsy on this, then we'd reduce the dose to once daily for him. And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your kitty has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet.

Further to this, for all out differentials, we can consider warm compressing the area. This may be a bit difficult on the bridge of the nose (since cats don't like things in front of their eyes) but this will increase local blood vessel dilation and encourage any blood or serum from inflammation to be absorbed and will also aid getting white blood cells to this site if it is a bacterial infection.

Finally, if you find that these don't settle his signs over the weekend, then we'd have to consider possible infection. In that case, then above can help but we'd want to follow up with his vet next week for evaluation and a course of antibiotics +/- kitty safe anti-inflammatories (since human ones are toxic) to address this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excellent
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I am glad that I could help shed some light on what you are seeing with Wilbur.

All the best,

Dr. B.