Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my blue staff of 1 year old keeps getting skin infections and

Customer Question

my blue staff of 1 year old keeps getting skin infections and has been on medication since we have had her is it best to get a second opion
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella. We have identified lines of Staffordshires who appear to suffer from a local immunodeficiency - in this case in their skin which predisposes to pyoderma (bacterial skin infection) difficult to clear for any meaningful period of time. In many cases, I've needed to prescribe the most appropriate antibiotic as determined by culture and sensitivity of pustules for up to 6 months and in some cases, only pulse therapy - antibiotics administered for one week on, one week off, e.g. - will control (not cure) the pyoderma.

It's important that an underlying demodectic mange be ruled out by multiple skin scrapings and that a cytology (microscopic examination of a sample of the the skin surface for abnormal numbers of bacteria and/or yeast) be performed in order to clarify if, indeed, pyoderma or yeast (Malassezia) exists. In rarer cases, autoimmune skin disease underlies these infections and biopsy of representative areas will be needed to identify the presence of such diseases - the pemphigus complex, e.g

A second opinion is always smart. I would consider the services of a specialist veterinary dermatologist to which Bella could be referred by her regular vet. Please see here: http://www.vetindex.co.uk/vetindex/derm_ref.htm and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.