Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hello my pet is a Yorkshire terrier and she did not eat yesterday

Hello my pet is a Yorkshire terrier and she did not eat yesterday but every time she has a drink through the night she is sick no food just white liquid what she'll i do
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl Pipa isn't feeling well with a loss of appetite for 2 days and vomiting even water at this point.
Vomiting and a loss of appetite can be related to eating something she should not have, (too many treats or table food), eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial gastrointestinal infection, inflammatory bowel disease, a systemic infection (for example a uterine infection called a pyometra if she isn't spayed) or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.
Because she hasn't eaten normally in a couple days and she is vomiting I am very concerned about her. If she can't keep water down she will quickly become dehydrated, especially because she is vomiting as well.
Ideally she would see a veterinarian since this has been going on for a couple days already. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.
In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.
If there is no way to have her examined today there are some things you can try at home.
At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and hopefully not vomit. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.
A couple hours after the acid reducer you pick is given offer her ice cubes to lick or small amounts of water to drink.
Twelve hours after her last vomiting episode I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.
If she continues to not eat, or continues to vomit, especially if she has a fever or a tense, painful abdomen then she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.