Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my dog has a growth on her front leg,looks like a piece of

my dog has a growth on her front leg,looks like a piece of chewed gum. it is pink and is approx. 2cm wide and 1cm high. today I found a smaller growth on her rear leg.what are these growths?.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Fudge has a couple lumps on her.
Do they look like the bump on the dog in these links?:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=A__ophquFVnlrM&tbnid=bA5wRe5bzLM_oM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monvt.eu%2Fcontent.aspx%3FCategoryID%3D927&ei=0op3U_uRN8bvoASV_YCIDg&psig=AFQjCNEgujn06MKCbR6LMwBNHQpqXCRIKg&ust=1400429599995438
https://www.google.com/search?sa=G&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSYxphCxCo1NgEGgAMCxCwjKcIGjwKOggCEhScIcUk7BiqErIK5BvhJ8wk9BeKHxogAIX-1Dvy7peTuWVcmp2BxDHIVW_1Qep5MB28wprhc_1zcMCxCOrv4IGgoKCAgBEgSJu8YxDA&ei=9Ip3U7zeJtGEogTmv4K4CA&ved=0CCQQwg4oAA
If her bumps looked like those then they are probably a type of growth called a sebaceous adenoma. These are very benign growths of the sebaceous (oil) glands (thus the light color) and can be cream colored to reddish or black depending upon how irritated they get. They are very common on the head, neck, trunk and legs/feet. Once one pops up they seem to multiply. But really it's just if the dog has the genetic predisposition to form one then they will continue to get them. I tend to remove them if they break open or bother the dog as then they can get infected. Or if they are in a bad spot. They aren't really warts and aren't caused by a virus so don't respond to medication used to treat warts in people.
Dogs can get viral warts but they occur in young dogs and are generally on the lips, mouth and sometimes the genital area. They would be very rare in an older dog.
If you want to be absolutely certain of a diagnosis your veterinarian can perform a fine needle aspirate on the bump. He or she puts a tiny needle in the bump, draws cells out, and looks at the cells under the microscope to identify them.
Other possible masses that can look like sebaceous adenomas are mast cell tumors, histiocytomas, or basal cell tumors.
If she gets more or is bothered by them you could choose to have only the large ones removed that are actively bleeding or causing her trouble rather than all of them. Some dogs will let us remove them with a local and the laser, it depends upon how deep they are and how cooperative our patient is. You might discuss this option with your veterinarian.
Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be effectively done for her at home to remove them. I wish that there were, as many dogs have them, but though there are products that promise to work, they are a waste of money.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.