Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.
21470562

My dog Bess started panting and shivering earlier today. She

My dog Bess started panting and shivering earlier today. She had this problem some weeks ago and was given tramadol and noroclave. Also injections. As the surgery is now closed I have given her a tramadol and a noroclav that I had left.
Have I done the right thing. I live on my own and panic a bit if Bess is ill. She is 14.
Will take her to the vets in the morning. Just want reassurance. Thank you.
Eileen
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to answer your questions and help Bess. How long ago did you give her the medication? How is she doing now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

medication about an hour and half ago. Still panting

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that helps. Does she seem anxious or nervous, or do you think her panting is more related to pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could be both. She keeps trying to settle to sleep

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
I think Bess could have a number of things happening that would result in her panting. Sometimes pain will cause a dog to pant, other times it is anxiety, distress, nausea, or just being too warm or thirsty. Hopefully she settled down after the medications took effect, but either way a trip to your veterinarian is warranted to be sure it is nothing serious.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took Bess early morning to my vet. Not fully diagnosed but after a thorough examination she thinks she has damaged her back and the pain, as you say, has caused her panting etc. She had an injection and now on pain killers.

She is still stiff when walking but obviously the pain has reduced. Will hope her improvement will continue.

Thank you so much for your help and advice.