Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My bichion fries has been treated for her glands

My bichion fries bitch has been treated for her anal glands problem with antirobe caps, bimoxyl la, metronidazole, since the 14 August the problem is still there the vet says it is a chalky substance, I am now been told that that there is a need to put her to sleep in order to pack the glands with antibiotics and then send sample for analysis, to date the cost has been over £ 200 we are back in square one please can you advice if this is normal practice and procedure I would prefer that a sample be taken before putting my bichion to sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Eli's anal gland infection and proposed treatment.
Anal gland infections are generally treated with expression of as much of the infected debris as possible and a course of effective oral antibiotics. If the glands are not too thickened and the infection isn't very bad that can be effective.
If the glands are very thickened even the proper antibiotic won't be able to to penetrate the walls of the gland effectively due to the inflammation, and oral antibiotics won't work. The antibiotic must be able to get to the infection site to work.
If oral antibiotic treatment is not effective, which can be the case with anal glands that have been infected for a while or have had previous infections, then the standard protocol is to infuse the glands with an ointment that contains antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory to treat the infection directly. Some dogs will allow this to be done awake, but many are too uncomfortable or painful and need to be anesthetized to allow the procedure to be done properly.
I know that you are worried about anesthetizing your pup, but at this point it is the best way to get this infection treated properly. It is a very short procedure in an anesthetized patient, he won't be under long at all.
Anal gland issues are a common problem for dogs and seems to be more common in overweight dogs that are fed lots of table scraps or eat a diet low in fiber. These glands are normally expressed when passing stool but if he eats a diet low in fiber his stools may be too small or infrequent to empty them.
I recommend weight loss if he is overweight.
I also recommend decreasing or stopping entirely table scraps.
You may have tried to add fiber but it may not have been enough. A diet higher in fiber, such as a weight loss diet or mature diet, may help. Sometimes a prescription food very high in fiber like Hills r/d or Purina Veterinary Diets OM is needed.
If his anal glands become a chronic problem for him, then removal of his glands is another option.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.