Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my cats second eye lids are visable to the inside of her eyes.

my cats second eye lids are visable to the inside of her eyes. is this cause for concern, should l consult a vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does Susky have any tearing, squinting, redness or discharge from her eyes?

Has she had any diarrhea?
Any coughing, sneezing, lethargy, or signs that she feels unwell?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no tearing, squinting, redness nor discharge.

no diarrhea as far as l know she is an outdoors cat, no signs of lethargy, she has been staying in more but l put that down to a change in the weather.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Linda,

If she is showing no other ocular signs (ie tearing, squinting, conjunctival inflammation, etc), then concerns of primary eye diseases like lacerations or infectious agents affecting both eyes would be less likely here. That means we have to consider the non-eye based differentials associated with elevation of the inner eyelids.

Now raising of the third eyelid isn't really a condition or a sign of particular disease alone. Instead it can be seen as a normal part of her body's functions (and thus just settle on its own) or it can be an extra feature of a range of conditions. Often it is just a sign that cat is feeling a bit unwell (ie brewing a GI or respiratory infection, suffering with a mild immune challenge like worms, or in response to having eaten something she should not have that has caused mild GI inflammation). Other less common causes for these to be elevated include nerve damage, nerve disease (which can sometimes be related to viral infections like FIV or FeLV), or systemic illness.

Now if this has just started and her eyes and herself are otherwise well, we don’t’ need to be overly worried about can choose to monitor her at this stage. Since she is staying in more, this too could be a hint that she isn’t feeling 100%. Therefore, it would be ideal to monitor her and potentially give her access to a litter box so you can appreciate if there are any GI signs present. If she does have diarrhea alongside these raised eyelids, it may be a hint that she has a short acting viral infection by the Torovirus. And if this is the case, it usually settles in a few days without intervention.

Overall, to see this sign in an otherwise healthy cat, we'd usually advise to monitoring her at this stage. If she is eating and drinking normally with good hydration, then there isn't really an indication to test/treat her. That said, if you monitor and she does develop any signs that she is feeling unwell or these don’t settle over the week, then would be ideal to have her vet check her to just make sure there isn’t an infection lurking or any of those other less common issues that can raise the eyelids .

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.