Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my 8 year old saint Bernard has started wetting himself he

Customer Question

my 8 year old saint Bernard has started wetting himself he wont get up he just wets here he is laying its only started 2 days ago he was sick yesterday and off his food and he vomited a couple of times he is back eating oday but ive seen him wet himself today again

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that many vets were unwilling to give you what is likely to be an unsatisfactory answer. Any 8 year old Saint Bernard - a quite elderly dog - who is too weak or physically unable to move away from his own urine - is a seriously ill dog who needs attention from his vet at your earliest convenience. Vomiting and anorexia aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder and so Max's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify why Max is so ill.
His eating once again is a positive prognostic sign but continuing to wet himself suggests weakness due to profound anemia or metabolic diseases involving his major organs. Paresis (weakness) and/or paralysis of his limbs suggests both spinal and brain disorders and these would need to be considered if he demonstrates neurological deficits as determined by his vet's testing of Max's nociception (deep pain perception) and conscious proprioception (knowing where his feet are in relation to the rest of his body).
I'm sorry that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to physically examine Max. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

May I have an update on Max, please?