Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

hi At about 6pm this evening I was washing my Labrador in

hi
At about 6pm this evening I was washing my Labrador in the garden as she had rolled on a dead animal whilst on a walk. I was rinsing her down when the last bucket of water I poured on her was hot water. I don't know what I was thinking but didn't realise my error until I had poured it over her. She wined and looked as if she was shocked. I ran and filled a bucket of cold water and gently poured that on her. She appears ok but I am worried she will be in pain. Her ears look a little red and obviously she is guarded when I go near her. Can you advise?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern and sorry to hear about the mistake.
It happens.
At this time, I would not do anything. Unless the skin begins to bubble, swell, or Miley appears to becoming increasingly sensitive to tough, I would not try to give any medicine or apply anything topically.
She may still be a bit shocked by everything, so I would give her several hours to settle.
But! If the skin does appear to change, blister, ooze any fluid, than get to a vet ASAP for probable antibiotic therapy and some good anti-inflammatory medication for comfort.
Right now, less is probably more and I would not try to put any topicals on her skin.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy